top of page

Guide to Sponsor Licence Application 2022

What is Sponsor Licence for UK employers?

The end of UK free movement and change to the Immigration rules from 1 January 2021, all EU and non-EU nationals coming to UK to work must be sponsored by a licensed employer with a valid sponsor licence. As an employer in the UK, you will need a sponsor licence to employ most types of overseas workers from the outside UK. This includes Iceland, EU, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland entered the UK after 31 December 2020. The sponsor licence for an organisation does not only employ overseas workers with paid jobs but also includes unpaid works such as running charities.

UK employers need to know how to secure a UK visa sponsorship licence if their employee’s visa expires. To apply for a UK visa sponsorship licence, you will need to make an application to the Home Office and pay the relevant fees which you can find out on the website.

What is eligibility for an organisation?

The Home Office will only grant a sponsor licence to an organisation that shows the role they are recruiting for, and the workers they are intended to sponsor is necessary and has met all the requirements from Home Offices. The company must also have an HR system in place that comply with sponsorship compliance duties.

To get a sponsor licence as an employer, the employer cannot have:

  • Unspent criminal convictions for immigration offences or other certain crimes such as money laundering.

  • The employer has never had a sponsor licence revoked in the past 12 months of the business

This is the basic requirement for employers to know their eligibility. If they have been granted with sponsor licence, the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will visit the applicant organisation to check whether the applicant is trustworthy and capable of carrying out duties.

What is job suitability mean for the employer?

The employers will need to make sure they have met a suitable rate of pay and skill level as well as meet other requirements needed for the visa application. There are different types of workers which the going rate of pay and skill level are different.

The types of workers are listed as below:

  • A skilled worker

  • A health or care worker

  • An intra-company worker

  • A worker on a government authorised exchange

  • A seasonal change

  • A worker on a government international Sportsperson visa

  • A worker on an international agreement

  • A creative worker

  • A charity worker

  • A minister of religion or religious worker

What types of Sponsored licences?

There are two types of sponsor licence, and the licence you need will depend on whether the works you want are:

  • Skilled or long-term employment

  • Temporary workers- Specific types of temporary employment

The employer can apply for the sponsor licence of more than one or both types of workers depending on the needs and requirements needed to be met from the Home Office.

Work Licence

The Work Licence will allow employers to sponsor different types of skilled employment that can be for short term, long term, and permanent roles.

The type of work licence can be split into:

  • Skilled Worker

  • Into-company visa

  • Minister of Religion

  • International Sportsperson

Temporary worker Licence

The temporary worker Licence will allow the employer to sponsor workers on a temporary basis including Job-shadowing and volunteering. However, the employer will only get a temporary worker licence for specific types of employment and visa. The types of Temporary worker Licence can be split into

  • Creative Worker

  • Charity Worker

  • Government Authorised Exchanged

  • International Agreement

  • Seasonal Worker

How Alstern can help?

Immigration laws and rules are constantly changing at all times. This is important to get the latest information. Our Immigration lawyers have years of experience in Sponsor licence applications for UK employers and even dealing with complex applications with a high success rate. We follow up the changes of immigration law and rules that ensure every single sponsor licence application meet the latest requirements from the Home Office.

For more information, please contact us on 020 3923 9188 or email


Need advice

Contact our Solicitors:

020 3923 9188

or complete the form below

Thanks for submitting!

Alstern Solicitors _edited.jpg

News & Insights

Read the latest insights, news, articles, blogs and commentary

Insight _ Alstern Solicitors .png

Immigration Services 

Corporate Immigration

  • Sponsorship Licence Application

  • Certificate of Sponsorship Application

  • Sponsor Licence Compliance Check

  • High Skilled Worker Application

  • Employees right to work check

  • Human Resources and Immigration 

Business Immigration

  • Innovator Visa

  • Start-Up Visa

  • Global Business Mobility Routes

  • Tier 1 Investor Visa Extension

  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Extension

  • Sole Representative Visa Extension

  • Turkish Businessperson Visa Extension

  • Business Visitor Visa

  • Global Talent Visa

Individual Immigration

  • Standard Visitor Visa 

  • Short Term Student Visa

  • Student/Child Student Visa

  • BNO Visa (British National Overseas)

  • Skilled Worker Visa

  • Nationality (Naturalisation)

  • Nationality (Registration- Child/Adult)

  • Indefinite Leave to Remain

  • Spouse and Partner Visa

  • Family Private Life 

  • EEA Nationals/Family member


Residential Conveyancing

  • Freehold Sale and Purchases

  • Leasehold Sale and Purchases

  • Investment and Buy to Let Properties

  • Transfers of Equity

  • Right to Buy Purchases

  • Leasehold Enfranchisement

  • Residential Lease extension

  • Mortgages/Re-mortgages

  • Share Ownership Property 

  • Deeds of Gift

Commercial Conveyancing

  • Commercial conveyancing

  • Commercial leases and licences

  • Commercial lease renewals

  • Compulsory land purchase

  • Freehold and leasehold 

  • Commercial property Sales and Purchase

  • Estate development and plot sales

Corporate & Commercial

Corporate Services

  • Business sales and purchases

  • Joint Ventures

  • Shareholder Agreements

  • Mergers and Acquisitions

  • Partnership

  • Limited Liability Partnership

  • Articles of Association

  • Setting a business

  • Employment Contact

  • Sponsor Licence Advise 

  • Contract & Term of Business

Family Law

Divorce Matters

  • Adultery and Divorce

  • Agreed Divorce

  • Annulment

  • Contested Divorce

  • Civil Partnership Dissolution

  • Divorce Guide

  • Divorce Rights

  • Grounds for Divorce

  • Divorce Costs

  • Separation First Steps

  • General Family Law Matters

  • Mediation Support

  • Domestic Violence

  • Injunctions

  • Non-Molestation Orders

  • Occupation Orders 

Children's Law Matters

  • High Net Worth Divorce

  • Divorce and Postnuptial Agreement

  • Divorce and Prenuptial Agreement

  • Cohabitation Agreement

  • Cohabitation and Unmarried Partner

  • Divorce Finances

  • Divorce Financial Consent Orders

  • Freezing Orders

  • Maintenance and Child Support

  • Property and Divorce

  • Trusts and Divorce

  • Mediation Support and Financial Settlement

International Family Law Matters

  • International Adoption

  • International Children's Law

  • International Divorce

  • International Prenuptial Agreements

  • International Surrogacy Arrangements 

  • Mirror Orders 

  • All other Family and Immigration Law Matters 

Wills & Probate 

Our Services

  • Will Drafting

  • Estate Planning

  • Probate Administration

  • Contested Wills

  • Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)

  • Trust Establishment & Management

Alstern Legal award .png
Alstern Solicitors award winning logo.png

Keep up to date with Alstern

Sign up to receive email updates straight to your inbox!

Alstern Solicitors _ Legal experts.png

We are ready to assist you with UK immigration matter!

bottom of page